Founded in 1662, Krynki is a small town in northeastern Poland. It is northeast of Bialystok and on the border with Belarus. By the end of the 17th century, Jews settled in Krynki and established the cemetery. By the 20th century, Krynki was a large and thriving village with about 10,000 Jews comprising 80% of the population. The cemetery grew to 5.5 acres and consisted of the old section (3.4 acres) and the new section (2.1 acres). While the last burial was in 1939, two mass graves of murdered Jews were added during World War 2 and the Jewish life in Krynki came to an end.
Today, the old section with virtually no headstones left is beyond restoration. However, friendly Poles and descendants of the former Jewish residents are maintaining the new section by removing unwanted growth several times each year. In 2021 and 2022, descendants raised money for removing weeds, bushes, and small trees. But this was just the start. The descendants would like to restore the remaining matzevos to original positions and conditions. Longer term plans include restoring the stone wall around the cemetery, erecting a memorial not just for the cemetery but also for the two mass graves, and adding signage telling visitors about the importance of this ground.
For further information, to volunteer, contact the project leader, or to donate, please see: